NATIVE VILLAGE OF NONDALTON
is located on the west shore of Six Mile Lake, 15 miles north of
Iliamna and 200 miles southwest of Anchorage. Nondalton is primarily
accessible by air and water. A State-owned 2,800" long by 75" wide
gravel runway services the community. Scheduled and charter air
services are available from Anchorage and Iliamna.
is a Tanaina Indian name first recorded in 1909 by the U.S. Geological
Survey. The village was originally located on the north shore of Six
Mile Lake, but in 1940, wood depletion in the surrounding area and
growing mud flats caused the village to move to its present location on
the west shore. The post office, established in 1938, relocated with
the villagers. Nondalton formed an incorporated city government in
1971. Nondalton's St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Chapel, originally
constructed in 1896 and moved with the rest of the village, is on the
National Register of Historic Places.
residents in Nondalton are Alaska Native, primariy Dena'ina
Athabaskans. Dena'ina values and traditions are very strong here, where
elders continue to educate the younger generation in hopes of
preserving their culture. Residents here practice a subsistence
lifestyle, dependent upon fish and game for food.
Lodges, Inn's, B&B and Hotels located in the Native Village of Nondalton:
Alaska's Valhalla Lodge, INC.
Chada and Chida's B & B (907) 294-2228 (Nondalton, AK)